Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stay-cation in DFW

Had friends in for the weekend, so tried to show them a bit of the area. We went to see FC Dallas play against the LA Galaxy (I was very very disheartened to find out that Becks is currently on loan from the Galaxy...probably why there were tickets available). They have free parking, and encourage tailgating. Starting 90 minutes before games they have a happy hour with $1 beers. They had a crawfish boil and $3 hurricanes, too. I can't speak to the quality of the crawfish, but P loved it. I personally don't like playing with my food, so if I'm going to eat crawfish, it had better be the tails already removed from the rest of the carcass. The hurricanes had more of a kick than you'd expect for $3. I got a chicken sandwich that was the most pitiful thing in the world, though...it was basically a chicken strip on a bun.

As for the soccer, it was a pretty good game (at least as far as I know) and most of the action happened at our end. It rained a bit, but fortunately the sun went down so it didn't turn into a sauna and it was nice and cool.

Sunday, P had to work, so I took our guests around downtown Dallas. We went to the Farmer's Market and got some fabulously tasty cookies from The Baker Man that sells there on the weekends, and also picked up some fruit for later. I got lemon and margarita this time...I have to say the margarita cookies are my new favorite. Drove them past Star Labs, er, I mean City Hall, and the library (its companion piece of 70s era modernist concrete barren aesthetics). Drove them past several locales that substituted for Detroit in RoboCop. Drove them in the general vicinity of some Kennedy assasination related sites, but like any good Dallasite was a little fuzzy about exact locales of everything. Went to TGI Friday's in the West End, which I know is hardly unique to Dallas is at least local. Came home and grilled up some fajitas and made watermelon bellinis for dinner.

All in all a successful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment